Functional testing looks at functional health and wellbeing. It seeks to answer the question 'How is my body functioning?' Test results do not seek a diagnosis but rather they uncover levels of dysfunction. Often these areas of dysfunction may have not been revealed by conventional pathology tests. Dysfunction can be detected across the board - metabolic, nutritional, digestive, hormonal etc.
Functional testing is widely used by integrative doctors, nutritionists, naturopaths and other complementary healthcare practitioners. It helps practitioners to identify underlying causes of ill health. It is also a great tool for disease prevention.
At this clinic we use functional testing as appropriate. Largely, we access our tests from two sources within Australia. Generally we provide you with a home test kit and excellent instructions. You complete the test at your convenience and Courier or Express Post your samples to the laboratory. All costs include shipping. In some instances if blood needs to be drawn, we give you a kit to take to your local blood collection centre.
We regularly use functional pathology to investigate the following:
- Female and male hormones
- Stress (adrenal) hormones
- Sleep disorders
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Metabolic issues
- Genetic mutations
- Digestive and bowel problems (and parasites)
- Allergies and intolerances (foods and inhalents)
- Nutritional deficiencies (including minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids, antioxidants)
- Dysfunction affecting neurotransmitters (mood disorders)
- Osteoporosis risk
- Heavy metals
- And more ....
Samples provided are one of the following:
- Blood spot (you prick your own finger using equipment provided)
- Blood draw (you take your kit to a blood collection centre)
Routine Blood Testing
Whenever possible we try to refer you to your GP or specialist for any routine pathology testing that we feel is desirable. Often numerous blood tests have been brought in at the Initial Consultation and further routine pathology is not required. However, there are sometimes gaps and we require another test to be done.
In some instances routine pathology cannot be done via a GP or specialist. They may decline our request or they may have understandable budget restrictions. In this instance we can provide you with a pathology request form and you can obtain the desired test by using our form. However, because we are a private clinic you cannot access Medicare rebates using our pathology request form and you will be asked to pay a fee when you attend at the blood collection centre.
Access to Functional Tests
- Access to functional testing is available via a consultation only. It is important to select the right test (or tests) and this can only be correctly assessed via a consultation.
- If you have a referral from a doctor or other practitioner seeking a particular test, we will arrange this test for you and send the results to the relevant practitioner.
- All test fees are paid in the clinic at the time the test is ordered (unless you are on one of our Packages and have chosen to pay for tests by Payment Plan).
It's important to remember that no test can substitute for good Naturopathic Assessment. This will always run alongside any testing that is performed. Naturopathic Assessment could also be called holistic assessment. It's the ability to assess someone from a completely holistic viewpoint and gather as much information as possible that will help to identify underlying causes and areas of dysfunction. This means using a wide range of tools - eg detailed case history, extensive questionnaires, dietary assessment, liaison with other practitioners if required (eg a GP) and so on.
To find out more about our testing service please call 0417 319 355